Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bag for use on Small Wheel folder

This is my new cycle - an Axon Rides e-folder.

I am looking for a casual bag that I can attach to either handlebars or seatpost (or seat), and usa for casual carrying of bits and pieces eg fish and chips on the way home.

If it was a Brompton at 3x the price, I could use their system.

I have a click-on Bikehut small (5l?) handlebar bag which is great for what it does, a traditional market trader over the shoulder fabric money bag, and a laptop backpack.

Does anyone have suggestions for something perhaps fabric which can be attached and unattached very easily to handlebars, seat or seatpost? 

Plan B may be to start looking for a lightweight front rack which does not interfere with the folding mechanism.

Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

mattw | 1 week ago
0 likes

Nothing suitabel innthe range at my small local Halfords.

Next stop JE James in Chesterfield, or a larger Halfords.

wtjs | 1 week ago
4 likes

I should point out that the larger fitting bands for the Carradice QR system are perfect for the outsize seating tubes of my Birdy and Halfords Intercity folders (interchangeable seat tubes for those two bikes). I am also thankful that Carradice hasn't yet begun advertising their bags as suitable for carrying 'burritos' (whatever they are) and baguettes

Creakingcrank | 1 week ago
2 likes

Rixen Kaul make a thing called the KLiCKfix Caddy, which is like their standard handlebar bag bracket but for folding bike stems and similar vertical-ish poles. I think there are two sizes, depending on the diameter of your pole... You can can get a wide range of bags that use the Klickfix mount, from racks, baskets and rucksacks to conventional handbar bags. Ortlieb handlebar bags fit on them too.

mattw replied to Creakingcrank | 1 week ago
0 likes

Thank-you. Interesting.

My folder has the battery in the seatpost, which is ~48mm square with rounded corners. Corner radius as would be expected about the same as an AA or AAA battery - ish.

And the folding mechanism involves dropping the seat to the bottom - so it will be slightly taller if I install some sort of band suppporting a quick release mechanism.

So some calculations or a shop visit to be done, but it sounds encouraging !

Creakingcrank replied to mattw | 1 week ago
0 likes

They certainly work on a seatpost (whether one that thick I'm not sure) - I've used one to carry a saddlebag low down on the seatpost of my road bike. For your bike I was imagining putting it on the tall handlebar stem, assuming it wouldn't interfere with the fold....

Tom_77 | 1 week ago
3 likes

I have this from Decathlon - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/compactable-folding-bike-10-l-pannier-with...

It's cheap and it hooks and unhooks easily. Maybe not the best, but good considering the low price.

mattw replied to Tom_77 | 1 week ago
1 like

Thank-you. It says "compactable" - does that means it folds?

I'm also wondering about the small cargo net from my car, and a couple of bungies.

All useful.

Tom_77 replied to mattw | 1 week ago
3 likes

It has a metal ring round the top. So you can flatten it, but it's not like you can stick it in a pocket.

mattw replied to Tom_77 | 1 week ago
0 likes

So - to something like a photog's mini reflector.

I do enjoy working out the detail of what will be the best solution.

mattw replied to Tom_77 | 4 days ago
1 like

I've ordered one of these as a quick and easy solution number 1.

More costly solution number 2 will be chosen more carefully.

Very much enjoying the e-folder - I have now done about 150km, and last night did a pleasant ride along the Trent from central-ish Nottingham to Holme Pierrepoint and back, and around parts of the city centre which have been updated since I last spent time there; I can see why people like living there as it is now.

mattw replied to Tom_77 | 16 hours ago
1 like

This turns out to be ideal for quick trips, such as a prescription today..

It will add to my existing Halfords handlebar mount, and I can also possiblty adapt (ie bend) it to attach to the saddle stays.

mattw replied to mattw | 16 hours ago
1 like

Pic 2

wtjs | 2 weeks ago
3 likes

https://carradice.co.uk/collections/bag-supports/products/seatpost-quick-release-saddlebags

And, thank goodness, Carradice have finally produced a big saddlebag not made of crappy cotton duck, leather etc., and which use Cordura/ modern snap buckles etc.

https://carradice.co.uk/collections/saddlebags/products/odyssey-xl-saddlebag

brooksby replied to wtjs | 2 weeks ago
4 likes

wtjs wrote:

And, thank goodness, Carradice have finally produced a big saddlebag not made of crappy cotton duck, leather etc., and which use Cordura/ modern snap buckles etc.

And which looks very like the bag produced by indy bag manufacturer Wizard Works…

https://www.wizard.works/shop/sale-all/sale-bags/shazam-saddle-bag/

(sorry - feeling a bit sensitive about IP after my wife found pirated copies of her hand painted stuff being sold on Shein, advertised using pictures scraped from her Etsy page).

quiff replied to brooksby | 1 week ago
1 like

brooksby wrote:

wtjs wrote:

And which looks very like the bag produced by indy bag manufacturer Wizard Works…

https://www.wizard.works/shop/sale-all/sale-bags/shazam-saddle-bag/

I have a Shazam mini and love wizard works, but it's a bit chicken and egg - the Shazam does look quite a lot like the bags Carradice have been making for ages - their innovation was arguably just using more modern fabrics.  

wtjs replied to quiff | 1 week ago
3 likes

Except the Carradice was there first, is a lot cheaper, is made in Nelson, Lancashire and has the quick release bracket

mattw replied to wtjs | 1 week ago
0 likes

More expensive than Carradice. 

Wow !!! smiley

I'm sure something else important comes from Nelson. What is it? 

quiff replied to wtjs | 1 week ago
2 likes

Pretty sure the Carradice Odyssey didn't exist when I got my Wizard Works Shazam - they had the traditional cotton duck bags or the Super-C. Wizard Works is made in London (no, probably not the fabric - but not sure that's different for Carradice). And the quick release bracket is an optional extra for either Carradice or Wizard Works.  

wtjs replied to quiff | 1 week ago
1 like

Agreed- it'a a welcome new development. I only discovered it because of this query

mattw | 2 weeks ago
1 like

Photo.

Latest Comments