Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Commuting by train - etiquette

I use a single pannier when commuting as I don't like the sit of a backpack when it's got the laptop and change of clothes in it.

The trains [type B] I'm currently on use basically a seat belt as a restraining strap and everyone has to stack their bikes on top of each other.
This is different from the trains [type A] I'd normally use as they have a handrail outside the toilet compartment that you can strap your bikes to. This rail isn't there on the [type B] trains.

So ... the question is ...
Should I remove my pannier when commuting on the [type B] train?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

bikes | 2 weeks ago
1 like

My pannier is a pain to take on and off, which includes getting black grime all over my hands. I put a bag in my pannier and then I can lift the contents out easily in one go, and then the pannier can be compressed.

Relatedly, what is the etiquette on leaning your oily drivetrain against someone's nice panniers?

Hirsute replied to bikes | 2 weeks ago
2 likes

You need to clean your drive chain as you are prematurely wearing all the parts - sprockets, chain, jockey rollers, chainrings.

It will also help stop you ruining your own clothes.

Latest Comments